Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Burn2 - Welcome Home to The Phoenix Temple

As the sun starts to set on the playa you might encounter a tiny burner such as Marcello Franizzi ..... consider it good luck if you do ..... I most certainly did. He'll remind you that we're surrounded by magic inworld and we all need to continue to be open to and appreciate it.

For example, if you happen to be near the Phoenix Temple as darkness falls, take the opportunity to go inside and prepare yourself for one of the most outstanding experiences of Burn2 2010.

I like to think of myself as a builder. What I really am I guess is somebody who is obsessed with textures and lines. The Phoenix Temple is a joy for me. I want to place my palm on the side of it and feel the warmth and the ridges but I'll be satisfied with admiring the build Toady Nakamura has created. You might know Toady from her design work at Grendel's Children - but this is a step beyond.

I was lucky enough to share this experience with Toady (and a newbie I kidnapped on the playa but that's a whole other story) and found her own wonder at the art which unfolded just enhanced my own.

As the sun disappeared the Temple started to transform. I took dozens of photos but I don't want to ruin it for you so I've included only a few. Make sure you have the music turned on and watch as magic happens.

The transformation is gradual and each step of the journey is beautiful. That's the artist inside her creation as the changes began.

Toady has experienced Burning Man in real life and wanted to share the feelings it created with the rest of us.

I swear she smiled as the flames seemingly devoured her Temple. It was a beautiful sight.

Once the flames consumed the build only the playa remained. If you happen by during the night you can listen to the music but only see where it had been.

However, as the sky lightens towards sunrise smoke starts to fill the area and when the sunlight hits the playa once more the Temple is reborn.

There are gifts available on the north side of the Temple and they will change as the week goes on. A very special one is apparently going to be on offer at the end of the Burn.

You can enjoy the full experience just after 11:30, 3:30 and 7:30 am and pm SLT. The only exceptions will be during the actual Man and Temple burns this coming weekend. Go early though and click through the Burning Man photos to understand some of the feelings Toady is sharing with her build.

Burn2 is an opportunity to enjoy an experience most of us will never have in real life and there are some phenomenal builds and truly wonderous things to see and do. The Phoenix Temple is one of the really superb campsites you must see.

Remember to check out the Burn2 Calendar - a lot is going on every day. I'll bring you some more tomorrow.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this awesome review of the Temple!! Artist SkyCat Ranger painted the glorious pictures of Burning Man, and then several of the Grendel's team worked together to make my vision of this temple come true. Ryan Snook, our incredible Avarian Temple Builder, built the prims, Flea Bussy contributed materials for the special effects and created the sound stream for the build, Cacia Escape coordinated and kept every prim where it should be and I did the scripting for it. Thank you so much for covering our temple!!! We really enjoy it, and yes you did see me smiling as it burned to the ground!! Hugs!!

Honour McMillan said...

I love your Temple (you probably couldn't tell) :) Thank you for the names of all of those involved - congratulations to the whole team!